Study: Labs boost CPAP, mask sales

Friday, March 31, 2006

RICHMOND, Va. - Look for the number of sleep centers selling CPAP directly to patients to double over the next 12 months, according to a new survey by Wachovia Securities.
Ninety sleep centers participated in the survey released in January.
Currently, around 15% of sleep centers sell masks and CPAPs with the remainder referring patients to an HME provider. Wachovia expects the number sleep centers selling equipment to patients to double over the next 12 months.
The survey also reported:
- Respondents saw bed growth of 21% during the past 12 months and reported an average of 12.9 beds per respondent vs. 10.7 beds per respondent 12 months ago. Respondents expect greater sleep center capacity expansion in 2006 (31% to 16.9 beds per respondent) than in 2005 (21% to 12.9 beds per respondent).
- There are approximately 118,400 respiratory therapists in the United States and roughly 80% are employed in hospital respiratory care, pulmonary care and anesthesiology departments. The remaining 20% work with physicians, HME providers, home healthcare providers and nursing homes, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.