AmerisourceBergen breaks up home health effort

 - 
Sunday, August 31, 2003

VALLEY FORGE, Pa. -  AmerisourceBergen, less than a year after consolidating its home health efforts under the banner of AmerisourceBergen Home Healthcare, is now decentralizing its effort among six regions.

Where the regional directors of home health care were reporting to G.J. Walley. Amerisource-Bergen’s national director of home healthcare, they will now report to the regional vice presidents in those regions.

“They [the vice presidents] are the owner of the sales, so they feel they would like to have the accountability and ownership of those people,” said Walley.

He characterized the change as “nothing drastic, just a change in philosophy.”

The six regional directors hired by Walley were let go, though three were subsequently rehired.

While some observers view the break-up of the centralized home healthcare program as a shift from a national to regional programs, Walley sees it differently.

“It’s a national program. We just have it broken into six separate regions,” he said. “I’ll continue to work with those individuals as well to help pull through the business.”

About 60% of the AmerisourceBergen’s home health sales are generated by pharmacies that offer HME products and services; the remaining 40% is a mix that comes largely from stand-alone HME and long term care facilities. HME

Links: