CMS resets payment amounts for Round 2
BALTIMORE – CMS today announced the new single payment amounts for the Round 2 re-compete of competitive bidding.
CMS will now begin the contracting process. The agency will offer 12,181 contracts to 637 bidders. Of these offers, 93% are to bidders who currently furnish items in the area or within the product category. CMS will offer nine contracts for the national mail-order program.
CMS estimates that the first two years of Round 2 and the national mail-order program (July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2015) have saved approximately $3.6 billion.
Reimbursement rates for certain HME have been, on average, 45% lower as part of the previous Round 2. Medicare beneficiaries saved, on average, 72% of diabetic testing supplies as part of the previous national mail-order program.
CMS’s next steps:
• It will now begin the contracting process.
• In the spring of 2016, it plans to announce the contract suppliers.
• On July 1, 2016, it plans to go live with the payment amounts and contract suppliers.
For single payment amounts:
For CMS's fact sheet:
The Round 2 re-compete applies to 90 metropolitan statistical areas for seven product categories:
· Enteral nutrients, equipment and supplies
· General home equipment and related supplies and accessories, including hospitals beds, Group 1 and 2 support surfaces, commode chairs, and patient and seat lifts
· Nebulizers and related supplies
· Negative pressure wound therapy pumps and related supplies
· Respiratory equipment and related supplies and accessories, including oxygen, oxygen equipment and supplies; CPAP devices and RADs and related supplies and accessories
· Standard mobility equipment and related accessories, including walkers, standard power and manual wheelchairs, scooters and related accessories
· Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation devices and supplies
CMS launched Round 2 on July 1, 2013, in 91 cities for eight product categories:
• Oxygen supplies and equipment;
• Standard manual and power wheelchairs and scooters and related accessories;
• Enteral nutrients, equipment and supplies;
• CPAP devices, respiratory assist devices and related supplies and accessories;
• Hospital beds and related accessories;
• Walkers and related accessories;
• Support surfaces; and
• Negative pressure wound therapy pumps and related supplies and accessories